Tuesday 3 May 2011

A fairy tale weekend after all..

Question: Has the whole of the UK been on holiday for the past 11 days?

Well that is except me.. a little depressing..but nevertheless I still managed to get most of it off and visit Northern Ireland where I seemingly left something very dear to me behind..

..my dignity..

Yes, some where in a Belfast Airport currently resides my manliness.. if you find it.. let me know because one day it might come in handy..

Anyway, apart from a slow emotional train wreck which consisted of a realisation that it is entirely possible to describe your perfect girl for two years and then realise you actually already know her..I seemingly had a chance to recharge the batteries, play with some oddly shaped rocks and basically realise I can have my own fairy tale if I really want to.. who needs Kate Middleton.. HELLO PIPPA..

So, weird 3 day week over, its back to normality, and you might notice a cheeky little change to my blog. A friend of mine managed to mention, quite kindly, that on occasion I have a tendency to be arrogant.. which isn't true, seemingly confidence and arrogance are easily confused, but thats a rant for another day!

So in ode to that comment, which shall go on record at the one sure way to annoy me very quickly.. I have decided to take a leaf out of Prince William's book and announce myself the Duke of Newcastle.. yep.. two can play at that game sonny and I have better hair..arrogant or what??

Now yesterday was a strange day for me, one in which I felt a little bit of history was made and one in which I feel the West, namely America, let itself down..

You see, its hard to judge when you don't know all the facts, but let me express an opinion here..

While I feel comforted by the fact that Osama Bin Laden can no longer harm innocent lives, that comfort will no doubt be short lived. Al Qaeda by its very nature has many branches, many of which will have had little to no contact with a man on the run for the past 10 years. His removal as a threat will no doubt have an effect upon that organisation, as much as the loss of any figure head would, but it is now that diverse and spread out that his death will in reality be of little consequence.

It saddens me to think that as the figurehead for the free world, America and its President should rejoice in the death of any man without trial. As a beacon for the rest of the world to follow America cannot offer freedom with one hand and repression with the other, it must show the world that it applies its power fairly and is willing to offer even the gravest enemy the rights which that enemy would deny all others, it must follow its own moral code.

No man, whether elected or not has the right to take another's life, yet at some point, be it war or circumstance loss of life is inevitable, but to rejoice at the death of any man should not be applauded.

Yesterday we witnessed America fluff its lines, it had the chance to show the rest of the world how great it can be, how the worlds police man can police itself, instead it showed a hand we often choose to ignore... one we hoped had been left behind.. one of self interest, and yet the rest of the world and our own government did nothing to defend the freedom in which we all share.. yesterday was a bad day for us all.

On a lighter note, yesterday was also a day of many Bin Laden jokes.. many of which I can't repeat.. interesting how as America celebrated, the British decide to make light of the situation.. two slightly contrasting but ever telling differences between our two nations.. but the most telling difference was that half those jokes were pointed at America.. if ever Al Qaeda needed proof of which country is fighting terrorism for the right reasons they only had to look at facebook.

Now in between watching the Royal wedding on Friday I was actually thinking about something far more important than the chances Harry has with Pippa Middleton.. it seems our little Young Entrepreneurs Trust college is well on the way.. did you know we were starting a college in our spare time?

For evidence.. please see the below drawings of the new college building, which is a converted power station from the old coal mining days.. nothing like using the main staple industry of the past to fuel the future.

Its a massive project that will hopefully be a beacon to the rest of the country so please do let me know what you think here.

Picture 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22504193/Drawing%201.pdf

Picture 2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22504193/Drawing%202.pdf

Picture 3: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22504193/Drawing%203.pdf

Can you help us? Let me know, we need all the help we can get on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment